RARE AMERICAN ANTIQUE FOLK ART CIGAR RIBBON QUILT WithINKED SILK/MASS CIGAR BRANDS
VERY RARE AME RI CAN L A T E 19TH t o EARLY. 2 0 T H CENTURY ANTIQUE F O L K ART/ TRAMP. ART, H A N D M A D E CIGAR R I B B O N' C R A Z Y' QUILT. W i t h INKED S T A M P E D SILK C I G A R BANDS S E W N. TOGETHER, w i t h PLAIN C O T T O N MUSLIN. BACKING, f e a t u r i n g MASS AC H US ETTS' CIGAR. B R A N D S, NEARLY S Q U A R E , measuring 19 1/2. I n W i d t h x 18 1/2 i n H e i g h t. Cotton backing on the back of the quilt is intact, while the front of the quilt has absolutely no damage, color diminishment or unsightly, depreciating stains on the front, woven silk face.
Late 19th to early 20th century Ame ri can Folk Art/Tramp Art antique handmade, hand stitched cigar ribbon quilts made of silk cigar bands. 19 1/2 " Width x 18 1/2 " Height. The sewn together pieces or quilting of the silk cigar ribbons, used accentuated'catch' or baste stitching, with yellow and red embroidery cotton thread. The four triangular panels are sewn with golden yellow and red, criss-cross baste stitching, along the ribbon's edges.
The baste-stitching's comprised of simple, hand-sewn'X' stitching, mending the cigar ribbons together,'quilting' them. There's no loss or stains marring the quilt. The backing fabric's black cotton or soft muslin fabric's completely and somewhat miraculously intact, now being 105 to 125 years old. An outstanding Ame ri can tobacciana late 19th to early 20th century antique artifact and wonderful, bright, warm colored cigar ribbon quilt. Simply an absolutely wonderful example of turn-of-the-century Ame ri can Folk Art and Tramp Art.
In extraordinary, estate fresh, wonderfully well-preserved overall antique condition. Especially bright and colorful, with no thread loss or color fading.
An outstanding object of great beauty. Very rare, especially in this kind of well-preserved overall antique condition. Very Good to Excellent overall antique condition. This item is in the category "Art\Textile Art & Fiber Art".
The seller is "modsanctuary" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Size: Medium (nearly sq, 20 3/4\
- Region of Origin: Boston, Massachusetts USA
- Handmade: Yes
- Artist: Boston, MA area cigar silk ribbons
- Production Technique: Handwoven
- Framing: Unframed
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
- Custom Bundle: No
- Style: American Folk Art, Abstract, Folk Art
- Item Height: 18 1⁄2 \
- Item Width: 19 1⁄2 \
- Material: Cotton soft muslin backing, Black fabric backing fabric, Silk
- Personalize: No
- Type: Antique Cigar Ribbon Quilt
- Title: Untitled
- Features: One of a Kind (OOAK)
- Subject: Cigar ink stamped, printed silk color ribbons, Advertising
- Culture: New England
- Signed: No
- 100% original antique condition: Untouched & undisturbed
- Year of Production: 1895 - 1915
- Original/Licensed Reproduction: Original
- 'Harvard Ponies' cigar silk ribbons: 'Quincy' cigar silk ribbons
- American: Antique
- Unit of Sale: Single Piece
- Late 19th to early 20th century: Circa 1895-1915
- Estate fresh: New to the marketplace
- Silk facia (made of vint cigar ribbons): Soft muslin cotton plain backing
- 'Juniors' cigar silk ribbons: 'Blackstone' cigar silk ribbons
- No material tears, fraying, hread loss: No color fading or diminishment of color intensity
- Folk Art: Tramp Art
- Very fine: Near museum quality
- Boston area, Massachusetts cigar ribbons: Very scarce & very hard-to-find