RARE 18TH C LOUIS XVI FRENCH ANTIQUE PEWTER BLK PWDR CANNISTER, WithSTMPD MONOGRAM
RARE MID to LATE 18TH CENTURY LOUIS XVI FR EN CH ANTIQUE MILITARIA 6 in HEIGHT PEWTER BLACK POWDER CANNISTER, featuring THREADED LID & STAMPED MONOGRAMS. On BOTH the LID & CANNISTER BASEPLATE, FOUND in NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE (EMPTY). Stamped with a Fr en ch monogram on baseplate with stamped crown, encircled with. Fr en ch fleur de lis. Mid to late 18th century Louis XVI Fr en ch militaria pewter black powder cannisters & munitions for small arms. 6" Height x 4" Width. Offered for your review and consideration is this exceedingly rare, mid to late 18th century Louis XVI Fr en ch, pewter upright tubular cannister with a threaded lid, that would have held and kept black powder for small arms safe and dry in all weather conditions. The threaded pewter lid insured the contents wouldn't be affected by either rain or often the high humidity that besieged soldiers on the ground, often rendering the black powder needed for their muskets, moist and largely unusable.
The pewter cannister has double reeded, parallel incised lines on both the threaded lid and sidewalls of the upright cannister. They appear once on the lid and twice on the tubular cannister. There's also a pronounced sill or'lid stop' located right under where the lid would stop at the end of the threaded interior sleeve, insuring no moisture could work its way back up the threads and into the interior. There's also an extended foot at the base.
Clearly stamped with a Fr en ch crown and Fr en ch fleur de lis. The cannister is now empty of its original contents and was very carefully rinsed with mild soap and water and then gently wiped dry. It no longer contains black powder or any black powder residue. Simply an incredible mid to late 18th century Fr en ch artifact found in the New World of North America, no doubt from the former presence of the Fr en ch in the contested Northeast of the Ame ri can colonies.
Good to Very Good overall antique condition. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Metalware\Pewter". The seller is "modsanctuary" and is located in this country: US.
This item can be shipped worldwide.
- 2 French impressed stamps: One stamp on lid & other on base
- Handmade: Yes
- Royal crown & French Fleur De Lis: Not chemically cleaned or polished
- Modified Item: No
- Country/Region of Manufacture: France
- Material: Pewter
- Original pewter antique patina: Lid is original to the body
- French army in the Americas: French & Indian War period in mid-18th century
- Mid-late 18th century: Circa 1750-1785
- 2 piece cannister set (lid & body): Threaded pewter lid
- Signed: Stamped twice (once on lid & once on baseplate)
- A few slight, small dings to pewter: Wear commensurate w/item's antique pedigree
- Found in northern New Hampshire: 100% untouched
- Absolutely original antique condition: French Colonial
- Object Type: Black powder militaria cannister
- Empty: All previous contents now missing, rinsed
- Heavy gauge pewter sidewalls: Sturdy, interior threaded pewter rim
- Time of Louis XVI of France: French colonial presence in the America
- Estate fresh: New to the marketplace
- 100% original antique condition: Untouched & undisturbed
- Brand: French (Stamped w/crown & fluer de lis)